Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #3- Gandhi: Hindu and Activist

Ghandi, is one of the most famous man in history. He spent more than half of his life on India, for its independence and India achieved its independence on 15th of August, 1947. In my opinion, Ghandi was a very courageous man with moral and patience. I don’t think there are many people that can be like him or accomplish things like him. He always solved things through Ahimsa (non-violence) and non-cooperation with the British. Moreover, he lived his life simply and was self-sufficient. All the clothes he used to western, like suits, were thrown away and he started to make his own clothes like the lower classes in India. For example, in the movie you can see him in prison weaving his own clothes while the photographer Margaret Bourke-White took pictures of him and also said “You’re the only man I know that makes his own clothes”. Moreover, in the prison he fasts not just to give hope and insight, but it was a form a protest (moral blackmail). An example of this was when his wife and he were both arrested by the British at the train, him and his wife both fasted in prison. So, I think Ghandi’s way of Hinduism is heart (no person is born bad, only made bad). He does everything his heart and religion tells him to, deciding what is right or wrong.

            Ghandi has once said ‘When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall – think of it, ALWAYS”. In this quote, I think Ghandi quote about truth and love always triumphs exemplifies his faith. If you look in history, this is actually true most of the time truth and love wins and is the best way to win. The whole movie even shows that through truth and love hard times can be overcome and obviously that how India was able to become independent. Honestly, with truth and love nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment